Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Glass Really was Half Empty!

As Jim and I set out for our run on Friday evening, we decided to take this beautiful dirt road that runs behind the middle school. Neither of us had been on that road in a while and thought it might be a nice change of pace and easy on the joints.

Knowing we'd be returning on the same route, I started grumbling a little (okay, a lot) when I noticed that the road was going continuously downhill. It didn't end. Around every bend, more descent. Early on I was chided by my dearest for being so negative.

Most of the way into the first running segment he realized it, too. We were going to do our entire return run uphill. It was pretty funny watching his face when he finally admitted to himself that he had just possibly underestimated the slope on that baby.

We finished our first 10-minute leg. Not bad (of course not---it was all downhill). We walked our five down to the creek, then started the second 10. We made it to about 8-1/2 minutes and I could not go one more inch uphill. I felt like my lungs, heart, & stomach were all going to end up on the road. I didn't like caving like that but I guess I'm just not that mentally tough yet. That was a rough one, but I'm still glad we did it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your post today I will think definitely help me prepare for going out and running "baby hills" tonight, in comparison to what it sounds like the two of you did - congratulations!

Ames said...

I felt the same way on our hike Sunday. I honestly did not think I was going to make it. I had visions of fainting and falling 1500 ft to my death. It was steep, it was rocky and it was rough. We had no idea how long the hike was and thus did not pack enough water. I thought we would be gone an hour, maybe, and took ONE bottle of water for the five of us. I feel like an idiot now, of course. Now I know to take as much as you can carry.