Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another Milestone

"I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs." ~Jesse Owens

Yesterday was great! I was trying to be optimistic when we started out last night hoping to run ten minutes, walk five, run another ten, and walk some more. The reality is, inside I didn't really believe I was going to be able to do it. I did, however, tell myself to shut up and run....and that I did. The first ten was easier than the five at a time we did last week. The second ten was a little tougher because it started off going up a fairly steep hill. We finished it and felt okay afterwards!

Each one of these early successes put a deposit in my 'emotional bank' that I will be able to draw from when I'm thinking I can't possibly do the next step in the training. I know you seasoned runners out there must be rolling your eyes at what I'm viewing as great progress, but that's okay. I'm enjoying this. I'm getting fit. Each run is getting easier. I'm going to enjoy this season in my training because, come July, the mileage really starts to increase and I don't think there will be anything easy about it.

I'm looking forward to when we're running the entire length of the workout and not so concerned with "can I actually DO this?" In the meantime, I will say that I'm actually enjoying this. The physical act of running isn't the whole picture. What I love is the whole package....the sense of accomplishment, the stretching of my comfort zone, being outside, spending the time with Jim, looking at everyone's gardens, watching the seasons change, and enjoying being alive.

No comments: