Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Last Week's Training Report

The first week of training went pretty well. I am still running Galloway style, which I need to stop feeling guilty about. I keep my walk breaks short and it does help me to keep going.

Our first 'long run' (not actually very long at this point) was a bit of a disaster. We had a perfect dirt road run mapped out, Dave (son#4) was home to watch Carrie, it was decent weather and we headed out the door. We parked the van and started running. About a half mile into it, we couldn't take it anymore and high-tailed it back to the car. It wasn't the feet or the shins or the lungs................it was the blasted deer flies. There must have been 10 of them zinging around Jim's head.

We were determined not to bag out on our first long run so we put our behinds back in the van, drove a couple miles back into town and ran some more sans deer flies. We didn't go the whole five miles but we did okay. The little break in momentum had a big effect on my not-so-mentally-tough self.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen,
I am a city-dweller and thus normally run in the city, but over the holiday, I was out in rural Illinois and my Lord, the deer flies were HORRIBLE!

It was an added challenge to the run (how many flies can I kill while keeping pace?) and also motivation not to walk!

All the best as you train!

SueBob said...

Wow, up to 5 miles already…you have really come a long way!