Sunday, August 24, 2008

Breakin' up is hard to do!

Last night set the stage for a disappointing run this morning. At around 3:30 in the morning, the thunder and lightning sounded like it was going to split our house in two. I knew that within seconds Carrie would be crawling into bed with us (I didn't blame her - I would have been scared, too, if I were only 6). She did. The cat followed. I was in the middle and cooking like a roast goose. Needless to say, I hadn't slept much when the alarm went off at 5:30 for our long run. Argggg!

Somehow we fell back to sleep and woke around 7 but by the time we were out the door and had Carrie taken care of and one of her brothers were rousted to look after was almost 8:00. The first 3.6 went well ...we planned to do the same loop 4 times. Jim's hamstrings screamed at him to quit after the first loop. I kept going and did my second loop. Then I zipped by the car, and had Jim drive me home. I think the humidity was close to 90% when we got out there, the sun got hot, and I decided to break my run in half, doing the second part this evening.

I must tell you that I seriously considered wimping out entirely once it got around 7:00. Then I told myself, "I'm a marathoner, I CAN do this!", strapped on my handy-dandy new Amphipod Run-Lite Snapflask 4, downed half a snickers marathon bar, and out the door I flew---okay--out the door I staggered.

I did my first loop, considered getting in the car and driving home. Gave myself the speech again and started my second loop. I got close to halfway into it, and heard Jim's ring on my cell-phone. There were major problems at work and he had to go in and oversee the fixing of the problems, and I had to come home to watch Carrie so he could leave in a hurry. Wow, I was actually moving my rear quite speedily when the adrenalin kicked in. Unfortunately, I shorted myself some mileage. No big deal. Life happens.

By the way, I did get Jim the Garmin 305. Don't tell....he doesn't know. Should come in about a week. Of course I'm very disappointed that right now he's feeling less and less like he's going to be able to keep up with the training for the big race if he keeps having hammie troubles. We were having so much fun doing this together. I'm not giving up hope yet. So who do you go to when that stuff keeps happening. A sports medicine guy or what? I think I'll call the track coach at the high school tomorrow. Maybe he knows of someone good.

Lessons learned this long run:
  • Get out there plenty early (yeah, I know.. this was on my list last week)
  • Don't break up the run. Be like Nike and JUST DO IT!
  • Bring your watch, stupid!
  • Get mentally tough. {{{over-exaggerated eye roll}}}


Jill Will Run said...

Yeah, that "Just do it!" line is pretty inspired... even if it's been around for a long time now. I had a little bit of hesitation about getting out this morning, but I'm really glad I did it!

Shogo said...

Are you and Jim doing enough stretching and icing post-run? Light stretch (not hard ones as muscle may be damaged following a long run) and cold shower to the legs really help to avoid pains.

Keep it up. I am training for the Detroit (my 1st) and will try the Labor Day 30K this weekend.

Karen said...

Jill, I notice that as my mileage starts to build, each run is such a huge time commitment that it's hard to push myself to get out there.

Shogo...You're running Detroit, too? Great! Do you have a blog or anything? Are you in the metro Detroit area? I'm in Milford.

Shogo said...

Hi Karen,

I am in Farmington Hills and yes am training for the Detroit (10/19) since April. It will be my first full. I did 2 half marathons so far and will try the 30K this weekend. Went to look at the course yesterday.... those hills are making me very, very nervous.

I go to Kenshington Park for a long run.

No blog yet.