Monday, June 30, 2008

Panic Sets In

This is it. The real training starts this week. Tomorrow I'm supposed to run 3 miles, 4 miles on Thursday, 3 miles on Friday, and 5 on Sunday. I have not developed any mental toughness yet.....five miles might as well be 26.2 at this point.

I had a pretty lame running week last week. I had to take lots of 30-second walk breaks. I did some nutritional adjustments toward the end of the week that seemed to help. I have a history of being somewhat anemic. I thought it might be a good idea to look at what I usually eat and see how much iron I was getting. Yikes. I wasn't even getting 50% of the recommended amount. I got some of the supplements my doc recommended a while back. I prefer not to take supplements as I'd rather get nourished from real food, however, while I'm still on Weight Watchers, I feel like I can't consume enough iron-laden foods without going over my point values or overdosing on raw spinach. I also learned that tea can inhibit iron absorbtion. I probably drink two large pots of tea a day!!! I'm going to have to get some herbal stuff to feed my hot beverage addiction.

That little tweak should probably get me going again. I had some good weeks in there...that's why I was so surprised that I was such a lame slug this past week.

5 comments:

RED MOJO said...

I just happened upon your blog while searching randomly for funny blog titles. Nice title! The funny part is, I have had a goal since in my thirties, to run and complete a marathon my 50th year of life. I am 47 now, so I'm getting ready to head into what you are going through. I'm glad I found you!

Anonymous said...

From what I've read about nutrition, it is recommended for runners (and all athletes) to take vitamin supplements, it's really hard to take all the needed nutrients for the body on a regular diet. And since you are a runner now and are running a marathon soon (!!!), it's a good thing that you are taking supplements to help you cross that finish line :p

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Alien, I can't imagine how we would be able to get all that we need to be runners, without taking supplements, or eating nonstop. I love food and everything, but I don't want to balloon up to three times my weight either just trying to make sure I am getting everything that is "recommended."

Don't panic, you can do this...

Sis. Julie said...

Wow!! That is an exhausting post!! To think you are going to be running that much distance in such a short amount of days. Bless your heart!! I pray the Lord gives you the strength you need to do it. I know He will.

Wendy said...

I just came across your blog via Runners Lounge. I wanted to say GOOD LUCK with your training! Coincidentally I am also running Detroit for my first marathon, and I was excited to see that you are following the same training plan as I am. Welcome to week one! :)