Thursday, January 17, 2008

Now I'm Just Scared

I'm now realizing that it's only about 2 weeks until February 1st, at which time I will have to put my money where my mouth is and start pre-training. I look outside and see the piles of slushy snow. I imagine dragging new running shoes through that. I imagine being chilled and not being able to warm back up. Aren't I just Miss Negative 2008?

I've got to say, my biggest fear isn't being able to run the 26.2 miles. It's just getting started. Noone who's done the training program in the book (see sidebar) has been unable to finish no matter what their previous running history was. I believe that and I know it can be done. I just am dreading taking those first few steps. I'm scared of seeing how much work it really is going to be. I'm nervous that I will entertain thoughts of this being a stupid idea. I'm petrified of...............myself.

I suppose that now is the time I should be preparing mentally to get the job done. No looking back. No excuses. Like he says in the book.....arm yourself with "it doesn't matter".

It's slushy out.......but it doesn't matter.
I have a headache.........but it doesn't matter.
I don't feel like running.........but it doesn't matter.

I guess launching my running 'career' during the sloppiest months of the year ensures that it can only get better and more comfortable to run, right? RIGHT?

I'll be back....

Karen

2 comments:

Sis. Julie said...

You can do it!! Just plug Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" into your brain and repeat it often!! You can only do any of this training with Him helping you along the way. I'll be your cheerleader.

C'mon Karen...you can do it...rah-rah!!

Karen said...

Thank you, Julie! I needed that this morning! Just before I looked at your comment, I had decided to start my training a little ahead of time. Monday is the day! There is still about 4 inches of snow on the ground and we're expecting more tomorrow so I better just mentally prepare to focus on something other than slush underfoot. I've got some 3 x 5's, and I think I will start memorizing Ephesians, one verse at a time. That will give some purpose to my training other than just the physical transformation.

Thanks for cheering! We all need that from time to time.

I'm so excited for your family event this weekend! I will pray that all goes well and is memorable and meaningful for everyone as well as being a testimony to God's faithfulness.